To: DFeldman@aol.com
Subject: Re: Buying a M6
From: tore@cs.uit.no (Tore Larsen)
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 1995 12:47:20 +0100 (MET)
Cc: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us

David,

> I want to get an M6 and a 35 summicron to use as my primary camera. I just
> love the feel of this combination.
>
> A new setup like this is a lot of money, so I was thinking of getting a used
> body and a new lens.

I take most of my pictures with the 35 mm Summicron. I have the 50 and 90 mm
Summicrons as well, but most all of the pictures I "see" currently are 35 mm
- Or wider.

I am extremely happy with the pictures I take with my Leica gear compared to
what I used to get from my previous gear (Nikon). However, few things are
perfect, and the 35 mm Summicron has some shortcomings. When used at close
to full aperture the lens displays vignetting and coma. The vignetting I can
often avoid by stepping down, the coma is harder to beat as it is most
evident in night-time pictures when you may not be able to extend your
exposure time. The coma appears as tangential blurrings of light sources
close to the picture corners. I have looked at the new 35 mm aspherical lens
and it is superior to the Summicron at large openings. Unfortunately it is
also much more expensive. Depending on your needs and the kind of money
you're willing to spend, you may want to consider the aspherical lens.

--
Tore