To: Leica List <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Subject: Re: Summicron 35mm
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@gp.magick.net>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 1995 23:39:20 PST

** Reply to note from sachse@msc.cornell.edu 11/02/95  9:25pm -0500
> Eric makes several good points but I think there's also a
> 	bit of marketing involved. My guess is that Leica is probably
> 	not aiming the Apo telyt for the typical hobbyist.

Everyone I've talked to who has used the 280 f/4 Apo telyt indicate it
is a stunning lens performance wise- even for closeups. In fact, a
friend that attended a lecture where a Leica designer was at showing
MTF curves, the 280 f/4 Apo Telty is as close to diffraction limited as
any lens could possibly be.

That means that the only thing stopping down does is increase depth of
field and diffraction. It is optimum wide open.

Regards,

Eric Welch
Grants Pass, OR