To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: 90/f2 vs 90/f2.8 M lenses
From: mcenzer@nwu.edu (Matthew A. Cenzer)
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 1995 09:55:19 -0500

 >Everything I've heard from other users is that the latest Elmarit-M/2.8 is
>fantastic (unless you need a faster lens) and the Summicron 90/2 is not one of
>Leica's better lenses.  I don't have either (I have an older 90/2.8 Tele-
>Elmarit) so this is heresay and hopefully some users will jump in.  Best, Alan

I don't know about the 90/2.8 but I use a 90/2 (the later, smaller design)
and I think that it is a superb lens. It has very good contrast and
produces some of the most vibrant, saturated color slides I have seen. It
seems a little soft from about 10 feet and closer at full aperature. This
is gone by f4, although some users might like the softness for portraits.
Its performance near infinity at full aperture is very good. I also think
that it is a good combination of focal length and speed; I often use mine
as a sort of longer-than-50mm normal lens. The loss of one stop with the
90/2.8 migh be a bit of a weakness in this regard.
Hope this helps.

Matthew A. Cenzer
Department of History
Northwestern University