To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Leica Newsgroup)
Subject: Leica R recomendation
From: mcenzer@nwu.edu (Matthew A. Cenzer)
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 1995 07:18:10 -0500

I have been a long-time Leica M user, but now I find that I need
close-focusing abilities that are beyond my beloved M. Thus, I want to add
an R body and macro lens. I have two questions:
        1. What R body is best known for its reliability and ruggedness? I
am not so interested in features (especially electronic ones) but in a
camera that can take some abuse in the course of a research trip to Kenya.
        2. Would I be better off with the 60mm f2.8 or the 100mm f4 macro?
(I fear that the 100mm f2.8 apo-macro is out of my price-range.) I will be
using the lens almost entirely for close-up work (artifacts and
manuscripts), as I have my M for other things.

Your suggestions are appreciated.

Matthew A. Cenzer
Department of History
Northwestern University