To: LEICA-USERS
Subject: The FED 5 Leica knock-off
From: "Philip Hiscock, MUN Folklore & Language Archive" <philiph@kean.ucs.mun.ca>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1992 22:43:20 -0230
Cc: philiph@kean.ucs.mun.ca

I apologise to anyone who has seen this posted to PHOTO-L and
rec.photo.  I just got this address again (thanks, Andy!) so here it
goes here.  Among experts!
	Does anyone know the Pont & Princelle book  (I am spelling
their names from memory, so forgive errors) that Harry Zucker reviewed
in Shutterbug last year?  It is a (tres expensive) compendium of Leica
lookalikes.  It sounded from the Zucker article like a handy thing to
have around.
		-Philip Hiscock
philiph@kean.ucs.mun.ca

Mon 29 June 1992

I have just  bought a Leica copy and it may be helpful to other
collectors to give my impressions of it.  As well, I have a few
questions for those who know more about it than I do.  In some
ways it is similar to the Zenit E, so I'll compare with that camera.

	The camera is a FED 5 with an Industar 61P/D lens (f/2.8, 55 mm).
All markings are of course in Cyrillic.    The markings do not
correspond exactly to what I'd expect from reading Hove and
McKeowan's listings.   For example, the serial number does
not seem to incorporate the date of manufacture (this is unlike
my old Zenit E, whose number _does_).  The s.n., by the way,
is 046141 and is stamped on the bottom/back of the camera.  (As
with (early?) Leicas, to open this camera you remove completely the
bottom and back, which slide downward.)   Another difference is
that this camera seems to indicate it was made in or by what I am
tempted to transliterate as "Stephano" but which actually is
"Sdepanov".  This is not mentioned in Hove. (An approximation of the
Cyrillic letters would be "C#E^AHO B" where # is a delta - sorta -
and ^ is the letter (pi) which looks like an upside-down capital V
with a wooden leg: make any sense?  To say that my Russian is
rudimentary is an extreme understatement.)
	It is, being a Leica alike, a rangefinder camera, with a
simple coupling involving a lever between the rf mirror and the lens'
inner extension.  It also has a focusable viewfinder - very
interesting and somewhat puzzling; it appears to be settable for your
own vision without your glasses.  Quite handy: as blind as I am
without my glasses, I should be able to use it.  It is very solid, but
not as heavy as some other Russian cameras.
	I really don't know how old this camera is.  My reading of
the 1992 Hove guide suggests early 1980s, and I do expect it is less than
twenty years old, but it looks like early 70s.  In any case,  its
former user gave it a good going - there are scratches, and ingrained
dirt, and - gasp gasp - _oil_.  At some point, someone went through
it with a can of oil, which I have been mopping up with Q-Tips.
It is also missing its self-timer lever - it seems to have been
broken off after jamming;  I tried to install the lever off my 1975
Zenit E and neither could get it to work nor reinstall it on the
Zenit.  Sigh.
	But after a couple of hours of playing with the FED's shutter,
loosening it up a bit by use, I think it gives good service in the
fast range (1/30 to 1/500).  It has a B setting which works well, and
some slow speeds which are timed - nominally 1/15 through 1 second.
Unfortunately they are actually running at about 1/2 through 5 seconds.
I'll just avoid those speeds for the time being.
	It took a little comparison with the Zenit before I figured
out how to rewind the film I put in.  Unlike most (western?) cameras,
there is no lock release on the bottom of the camera;  instead it
is on the top, disguised as part of the shutter release button.
	The meter, a selenium cell about 1.5 cm across, works quite
well.  I tested it to within a half stop.  Mind you it ain't no spot
meter - it merely reads the light instensity over some angle, probably
approximately that of the lens, in front of the camera.  It is
completely uncoupled.  If you thought Zenit E meters were uncoupled,
think again:  the Zenit meter is at least coupled to the exposure
calculator on the top left side of the camera.  With the FED 5 you
note where on a stop scale of 1 - 11 (zone fashion) the meter reads.
Then you manually transfer that number to the calculator and, after
setting your film speed, read off your exposure choices.  The
calculator has speeds (GOST = ISO/ASA) from 16 to 250, but you can
easily extrapolate to 400, perhaps further.
	You can set shutter speeds only after cocking the shutter;
this, too, is somewhat more primitive than the Zenit E.
	There is one serious problem with my FED:  the coupled rangefinder
appears not to match the focussing ring distances.  I noticed this when I
used the rf to "focus" on a distant object, one I knew was near infinity.
When I looked at the distance marking on the focussing ring, it was
only 10 metres!  This is what I tested when I shot a roll of HP5+.
I did a series of distant shots, in pairs of focussed with the
rangefinder and focussed at infinity; what I learn from the negatives
will determine how I use the camera...

	For those with more knowledge of the FED 5, I would like
to ask a few questions.
	Can the rangefinder be recalibrated?  How?
	Can the timer lever be repaired/replaced?
	What - generally - are Industar lenses like?  In the user's
booklet that came fifteen years ago with my Zenit, it appeared that
Industar was a poorer product than the Helios which came with the
Zenit.  Have I got a poorer-quality lens on my poor-quality
Leica-alike?  :)
	There is a frame counter on the top of the camera, above the
take up spool, and in the centre of the counter is a spinning plate
with three symbols: a sun, a bulb, and a circle with a dot in it.
What is the function of this plate?  It does not seem to be connected
to anything - is it somehow a memo of the film you have aboard?
	I have not figured out how to make a flash fire from this
camera.  There is a shoe which appears to be a "hot" shoe in that it
has a central contact.  There is also a pc cord attachment.  But I
cannot get either to fire my flash.  Is there a trick here, or is the
flash contact one of the things, like the timer lever, that just give up
their ghosts never to be resuscitated?
	Are FEDs still being made?

	Finally, several months ago a Leica-users' email group was
formed.  There was mail for several weeks but then it disappeared and
I have lost the address.  Does anyone know it?

			-Philip Hiscock
philiph@kean.ucs.mun.ca