To: Michael R. Volow <ecsvax!mvolo@uncecs.edu>
Subject: Canon 85mm f1.5 screw mount rangefinder lens
From: schooler@apollo.hp.com
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 92 09:42:18 -0400
Cc: leica-users

  You sound like you want this lens more as a user than as a
collector.  If so, I would go with the 85/1.8, which is a later lens,
not much slower, and excellent optically..  While I do own the 85/1.5,
and it is a beauty for the collector (especially if complete with very
impressive lens shade!), I have never tested it, but I'd be suspicious
of its quality, especially wide open, considering its vintage.  Also,
$700 seems quite optimistic to me, though it's true one doesn't see
them at all often.  Incidentally, there are two (cosmetic) versions of
this lens, first all-chrome, and I've got the later, and quite snazzy,
two-tone.
  Are there any other interesting lenses on offer?

        -- Richard