To: leica-users
Subject: Leica threads on non-Leica gear
From: Jack Campin <jack@dcs.glasgow.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 92 12:26:00 BST

If I remember it right, the thread on the front bit of a screw Leitz 90mm
isn't L39, and is intended to attach the thing to a Visoflex or similar.

One caveat on mixing Leitz and other L39 gear: there is no problem with
Canon equipment, but there is with Russian stuff (Fed and Zorki).  These
have different mappings of focal distance to cam travel, and will badly
confuse a rangefinder.  Pity, because some of those lenses are very good
value.

Another one: there seems to be no standard at all for flange-to-focal-plane
distance on enlarger lenses.  I have two Schneider Componon lenses (35mm
and 100mm) - neither is remotely close to the Leica camera standard.