To: Jeffrey Frey <att!eng.umd.edu!jeff>, leica-users
Subject: Re: lenses
From: ktw@hlwpk.att.com
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 92 10:39 EDT

>I never tested it in the recommended manner.  Any experiences, then,
>with the 50/1.4 Canon, 50/1.8 Serenar, 50/2 Cooke, 50/1.4 Nikon, 50/2
>Nikon?  Is the Summitar really comparable to the Summicron?

I think Sherry Krauter is the one who told me that the Summitar may
in fact be superior to the earlier Summicrons, at least of the
collapsible variety (the kind I have).  There was also an article
in a 1990 issue of the Leica Historical Society journal where they
mentioned the screwmount Summicron as somewhat "soft": what that
means I'm not sure.  I do know they are somewhat rare and very
expensive.

I had good results a few years back with a screwmount Summarit,
the 50mm f/1.5.  A far less expensive alternative to the Summilux!
I have also heard they are not optimally sharp until around f/4,
but I got some spectacular low-light shots with that lens at full
or near-full aperture.

Ken Wolman