To: Brian Reid <att!mejac.palo-alto.ca.us!reid>, leica-users
From: ktw@hlwpk.att.com
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 92 15:58 EDT

>Has anybody worked out a good system for how to load modern film into
>an old Leica? I find that I can't do it unless I carefully take a pair
>of scissors and cut a longer tail on the film, but I often do this
>wrong and even when I do it right it takes several minutes. Is there a
>trick? Is there a tool that cuts the long film tail (e.g. something
>sold for use with a bulk film loader?).

Funny you should ask :-).  I have owned four Leicas at one time or
another: a IIIF, IIIC and 2 M3s.  I have the IIIC and one VERY old
M3 now.  I originally dumped the IIIF because, as much as liked the
photographs, the camera was a pain in the ass to load.  I tore the
leaders on film, I tore the film right off the end of the spool.
When I decided to take a chance on a screwmount camera again in
1989, I acquired a copy of the 1950 edition of the Leica Manual for