[Leica] Nathan's PAD 28/7/2021: a hot day in Madrid with my daughter

Nathan Wajsman photo at frozenlight.eu
Wed Jul 28 23:25:44 PDT 2021

Yesterday my daughter and I had to visit the Polish consulate in Madrid to renew her passport there—it has to be done in person because Polish passports include fingerprints in the biometric data. So we took a morning train to Madrid, did the business at the consulate, enjoyed the city for a few hours afterwards, and took an evening train back to Alicante. Six images to illustrate the various facets of the day (none from the Polish consulate since only Monica was allowed to enter, they are keeping the crowds down due to Covid, so only the person actually doing something there is allowed in).

After the consulate visit, we took the metro to an Ethiopian restaurant for lunch. The food was vegetarian, beautiful and delicious. This is a spread for two:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-tCp2zph/A

After lunch, the temperature rose to the mid-30s, and there were not many people walking on the hot city streets. I did snap this cyclist, riding no hands while listening to music—not a practice I recommend but it made for a nice pic:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-cKKrVCw/A

We then made our way to the Retiro park, just included on UNESCO’s World Heritage list this week. It is indeed a wonderful park, fully on par with Central Park or Hyde park, perhaps even better than those. One of the impressive structures is the Palacio de Cristal (Glass Palace), used for art exhibitions, although being inside what is basically a greenhouse in 36-degree weather is not something you do for a long period:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-Bz4sjrS/A

In weather like this, this is a better way to enjoy the park:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-stRJ6Jf/A

We finished the day with two exhibitions at the Caixa Forum, one of the several art museums in the immediate area near the Atocha station (from which we were taking the train back). I love the architecture of the building:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-zj6539N/A

One of the two exhibitions was about video games and their relationship to the “real” world, a subject that interests Monica a lot. And she was very amused to see a game that she played not many years ago exhibited in a museum:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-4SCSbX5/A

Then we took the train and in 2:15 h we were back in Alicante.

Alicante, Spain
PICTURE OF THE WEEK: http://www.fotocycle.dk/paws <http://www.fotocycle.dk/paws>Blog: http://nathansmusings.wordpress.com/ <http://nathansmusings.wordpress.com/>

Cycling: http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/belgiangator <http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/belgiangator>

YNWA

"I’m not arguing, I’m just explaining why I’m right"