[Leica] [OM] IMG: Immature Carpenter Bee On Rose of Sharon

Jeffery Smith smithjeffery at mac.com
Thu Aug 5 11:16:22 PDT 2021

Among honeybees all worker bees (the ones that sting) were originally females. The stinging apparatus used to be an ovipositor for laying eggs. So they aren't reproductive any more. The males are called drones. They don't collect pollen, and have no stinger. They can mate with the queen. And the queen, of course, is female.