[Leica] Street Photography

Mark Rabiner mark at rabinergroup.com
Mon Sep 23 22:33:47 PDT 2019

My two cents if the "Street Photography" term using phenomenon just admitted what it was instead of insinuating that it's been this ongoing longtime thing that everyone has always known about it but you were not paying attention it would not be so bad. I have nothing much against sometimes using a buzz word of the moment or click bait or weasel words which pretend to mean something but which are just messing with you.
But the "Street" thing doesn't own up to it. I think many of them just want to feel a connect with the college kids who are just flipping off knowing anything about the art world or journalism and just want to walk around taking pictures and somehow be meaningful... rebellious.

But I think there are two main categories in photography which overlap a lot:
Job titles and genres.
The Job titles describe you and the genres describe your photographs.
If you are showing somebody a landscape it's a Landscape. That’s the Genre your image is part of.
 If it’s a big part of what you always do you can say you are a Landscape photographer and have it on your business card.. And when people see your images they might believe you.
The Yellow Pages had two categories for photography. Doctors only got one and Lawyers only got one.
Commercial and Portrait.
If you were a landscape photographer I think that fit into neither Commercial nor Portrait..
Landscape it think is a sub category of Art Photography. The Gallery market. Art Collectors.
And you could not even look those up Art Photography in the Yellow Pages.

--

Mark William Rabiner
Photographer