[Leica] M9 reliability question

Sonny Carter sonc.hegr at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 14:15:04 PDT 2016

There's some conjecture that sensor cleaning solution might be the culprit
behind degradation.

Photographic Solutions, maker of Eclipse and Sensor Swabs, long a go-to
answer from Leica cleaning, has recently added a product called
Aeroclipse.  From their site:

*We are recommending Aeroclipse for the Sony a7ii and a7rii. While Eclipse
is safe with proper cleaning technique, it can remove the coating with
prolonged cleaning and aggressive pressure. This is due to the pure
concentration of methanol in Eclipse. Aeroclipse, to render it
non-flammable, has considerably less methanol and is safe under all normal
circumstances and proper technique.*
A side benefit is that you can take Aeroclipse aboard airplanes as it is
not flammable.

To answer Doug's question, the switch over to the new sensor occurred last
summer; I'm not certain which sensor they installed in my M9, but I think
it is the original type.

My camera wasn't gone too long, just under eight weeks.  They completely
renovated the camera, including a new skin.   It is a nice camera.