[Leica] OT: sluggish iMac

Nathan Wajsman photo at frozenlight.eu
Wed Oct 7 23:16:41 PDT 2015

My 7-year iMac started acting up back in April: it became very sluggish and finally refused to boot up. I managed to boot it from an external disk and back up my mail and other stuff (my pictures all reside on external drives, so no danger there). I then took the computer to the Apple Store and had them look at it. The verdict was that there was nothing physically wrong with the internal HD, so they just wiped the disk clean and re-installed the OSX and all was well…until this week, when it started showing the same symptoms again. It still boots up but is extremely sluggish, to the point of being useless. Disk Utility reports no problems but obviously something is wrong. I recently upgraded to El Capitan but I do not think this is the cause because it was beginning to show the symptoms already before the upgrade. Before I take it back to the store for a hard disk replacement, does anyone have any idea of what else can cause such behavior?

I have my new Macbook Air, and all my stuff is backed up etc. But I want the nice big screen of my iMac back, and I do not feel like buying a new computer at this point.

TIA for any ideas,

Alicante, Spain
PICTURE OF THE WEEK: http://www.fotocycle.dk/paws <http://www.fotocycle.dk/paws>Blog: http://nathansmusings.wordpress.com/ <http://nathansmusings.wordpress.com/>
Cycling: http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/belgiangator <http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/belgiangator>