[Leica] A Sensor opinion...

George Lottermoser george.imagist at icloud.com
Wed Aug 20 09:05:21 PDT 2014

On Aug 20, 2014, at 10:12 AM, Doug Herr wrote:

> Frank Filippone wrote:
>
>> http://www.the.me/leicas-sensor-quagmire/?utm_source=feedburner
>> <http://www.the.me/leicas-sensor-quagmire/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=
>> email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+themephoto+%28theme%29>
>> &utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+themephoto+%28theme%29
>>
>> or
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/l4f8egs
>>

> When was the last time any of us bought just a sensor?  Last I saw it takes a whole lot more equipment than that to make a photo.  Put a Leica wide-angle lens in front of a state-of-the-art mass-market sensor (a7r) and see if all that sensor goodness makes a difference.

And in my case — high ISO is not my only concern.
The M is delivers gorgeous files at 1600 ASA
Better than any film I ever used at 400.

I considered the Sony offerings.
I considered the Fuji offerings.
I considered all of them.

The M "delivers"
maximum possible image quality,
corner to corner,
color fidelity,
high resolution,
fine detail,
for every R and M lens I own
(a total of 17)
from 15 mm to 560 mm

From all I've read and the many hundreds of samples I've seen
no other camera can deliver all of these qualities like the Leica M9, M, and Monochrom
when using Leica M vintage and contemporary lenses.
And
only the M can deliver these qualities
when using the Leica R vintage lenses.

Of course this may change in the future.
Though if you want to use your vintage and contemporary Leica glass
with the intention of maximizing the advantages of each lens
— the only choices are Leica digital camera bodies.

With that said I do continue to marvel at what the Fuji and Sony cameras currently deliver;
except in the corners;
especially with the wide lenses.

They're obviously wonderful cameras.
We're blessed to have this level of tools available to us at this time.

Regards,
George Lottermoser

http://www.imagist.com
http://www.imagist.com/blog