Subject: [Leica] [Leica} Tina's Drobos... Update: All loaded.
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2024 08:06:52 +0530
References: <3129A994-8017-45D2-B6B7-3F9343EAF4DA@mac.com> <84652F2B-4D83-4AAA-95BD-F7F404AB28B5@gmail.com> <656a1dbe-44ba-45a7-b8dd-83179ae6c867@gmail.com> <dff568af-3bd2-4dc2-ae8d-f0d989b151fe@gmail.com> <c0c377bc-f550-4900-b367-4b1cf3c97efc@gmail.com> <07360ACD-1DB0-4499-A9A2-D99AC8C6CBCD@frozenlight.eu> <3bcca153-ec7d-4d1a-9dac-38210da877db@gmail.com> <51819e4a-d984-4c4a-9d23-dd36004c96e0@summaventures.com> <D5F1916F-94C2-4C89-A8C4-500799F67B73@mac.com> <59E01601-F88D-47D5-9A93-C8F00F93395A@frozenlight.eu> <8FA07C54-3208-44E5-9EC0-41CCA5C2B97E@mac.com> <CAH1UNJ2SBuqaLjZhdZC=2sn6jAbz0oz+2D-pRNyTcVZg84TRng@mail.gmail.com> <4a15cca9-25f8-4717-8d07-c37ad6e815a2@gmail.com>

I run three sets of backups - not just photographs, but
books/music/documents as well - I do not use any fancy backup software, but
just physically copy the data to external HDD, both wired boxes and
portable ones, usually of 4-5 TB each with 3.2 ports - which normally
ensures a transfer rate of 100+MBPS, and with SSDs can go past 200MBPS. My
total backup data has touched 13 TB recently. This is the KISS method of
backup, applied after a lot of grief with NAS of various makes, mostly
related to service issues in India, and Chennai in particular. I rotate the
external disks every 3-4 years in a staggered manner.

The first set is kept with me, and gets updated weekly.

The second set is kept with my son, who lives close by, and gets updated
monthly.

The third set is kept in a bank locker and gets updated every 3-4 months,
depending on when I got to the branch, a rare occurrence in these days of
online banking.

This does entail some discipline to get it done, but that's about it. No
real work as the incremental backups run peacefully in the background.

Cheers
Jayanand

On Tue, Jun 4, 2024 at 9:13?AM Frank Filippone via LUG <lug at
leica-users.org>

Message from tmanley at gmail.com (Tina Manley) ([Leica] [Leica} Drobos... If you have them what can you expect?)
Message from bmwred735i at gmail.com (Frank Filippone) ([Leica] [Leica} Drobos... If you have them what can you expect?)
Message from bmwred735i at gmail.com (Frank Filippone) ([Leica] [Leica} Tina's Drobos...)