Subject: [Leica] [Leica} Tina's Drobos... Update: All loaded.
From: bmwred735i at gmail.com (Frank Filippone)
Date: Fri, 31 May 2024 22:16:48 -1000
References: <3129A994-8017-45D2-B6B7-3F9343EAF4DA@mac.com> <84652F2B-4D83-4AAA-95BD-F7F404AB28B5@gmail.com> <656a1dbe-44ba-45a7-b8dd-83179ae6c867@gmail.com> <dff568af-3bd2-4dc2-ae8d-f0d989b151fe@gmail.com> <c0c377bc-f550-4900-b367-4b1cf3c97efc@gmail.com> <07360ACD-1DB0-4499-A9A2-D99AC8C6CBCD@frozenlight.eu> <3bcca153-ec7d-4d1a-9dac-38210da877db@gmail.com> <CAH1UNJ3zYuW6pr-iOjeWgcAQfMie-sn1_Ybb=TrXhhnuaa4RZw@mail.gmail.com>

More familiar, sure.... but I am not so sure abut the other adjectives....

Certainly using a USB type enclosure, and not having to learn anything about
RAID arrays, LAN, and other peripheral stuff is a lot easier.....It just
looks like another HDD, only bigger.

There are some advantages to NAS, mostly speed of operations, as well as
transfer speed.

Of course, the obvious advantage that you can share the same data among 2 or
more users.... maybe that does not work with LR?? Not sure....? Tina's
requirements are for only 1 user, 1 computer.

If you wanted to stick with a cheaper non-RAID solution, AND your computer
has a eSATA input ( not all do) get a enclosure for your HDD that has a
eSATA output.? (Mediasonic makes the ProBox which offers this
feature...)This is basically as fast as the SATAIII disks can dump out
information,
6GB/second ( spec, maybe not real) .? BUT these enclosures are still limited
to what Windows and your CPU can do.? NAS have their own MicroProcessor,
and therefore can operate in a random mode faster....The bigger the
database, the more you would appreciate a NAS over a Bib USB type of HDD
array.

BTW, there are roughly half a million images on this setup... I made LR add
it up for me..

AND as a new data point, the catalog has been updated and is now pointing to
the NAS for all images.

Translation, it all works!

Frank Filippone
BMWRed735i at Gmail.com