Subject: [Leica] My 6 weekly pictures
From: lluisripollphotography at gmail.com (Lluis Ripoll)
Date: Mon, 27 May 2024 12:11:32 +0200

Jayanand, Alan

Thank you verymuch for your advices, It is true, I do not use much care with
the images digitized with the scanner, this instrument enhances the smallest
details of the negatives that are totally invisible in the enlarger when
making a wet copy, which for me is what counts. A few days ago I had a
negative with countless white dots, I immediately made a 9.5x12" copy in my
darkroom, it turned out completely clean, so digitization for me is just a
reference, I had stopped making a contact sheet and I'm going to do it again
because it teaches you how the copy will turn out and also about the
exposure values in relation to development. The digitized photo allows
greater correctable tolerance when editing, a negative requires greater
accuracy. Thanks anyway and I will try to take more care in some details
such as the margins.

Regarding the shot, it is difficult to reach the so-called decisive moment,
on many occasions you have to choose whether to take the photo at that
moment or lose the image completely, I try to preserve the image despite
imperfections.

Regarding cropping, I think it is an old discussion, in general I don't like
to practice big cropping, only small adjustments. There is a great influence
between what the photographer has seen when taking the image and what has
awakened his emotion and what the viewer sees. It is very important to me to
be as close as possible to the image initially seen, which is what motivated
me to take the photo, and a cropped image does not always reflect what
subjectively caught my attention. Another thing is different if that image
It may have seemed interesting to me, it is actually a mistake.

Thank you again for your constructive comments that raise great topics of
discussion that it is not easy for me to follow in a language that is not my
own and that I need to use an automatic translator.

Cheers
Lluis