Subject: [Leica] Comparing B&W M9/MM
From: leica_r8 at hotmail.com (Aram Langhans)
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 09:33:04 -0800
References: <52E71094.5080901@cox.net><80F9701439F20347874CE5E4E03C22E9E683D31D@WhizzMAIL01.whizz.org><3941DB73-ED40-4DBC-AB4F-A065EA3E682E@gmail.com><80F9701439F20347874CE5E4E03C22E9E684A46B@WhizzMAIL01.whizz.org><106455A3-8D0D-47AD-AA36-1DCA2E75079A@archiphoto.com><52EADF49.3010202@cox.net><FB52A573-02EF-4035-B52D-A628D53FA155@gmail.com><CAF8hL-EsBknuY3t_U4MuXBS_aQazUnu=SZAcmwcyqTVWMCLatQ@mail.gmail.com><CAE3QcF6ha2tLj4uxRYsP3y+eyo2yiEwDc=9jrFO6uhp+dfVN1Q@mail.gmail.com><CAF8hL-H5TFuyw9mCc4KtdDaEVyPd9vh2mJPE6NCx1Cz93xPZVw@mail.gmail.com> <643E462D-0CC5-4A3B-BDE0-9C0A71459733@icloud.com>

I shot with manual cameras for 35 years before getting a camera that had
some degree of automation (R4 and then R8).  Early on there was no built in
light meter and after than there was an in-camera meter.   I personally see
no difference between using a manual camera, which requires you to change
either the shutter speed and/or aperture to get some meter to match up to a
correct exposure, to using some form of built in automation that will
automatically set either the shutter speed or aperture depending on which
one you are controlling manually, to some sort of meter determined correct
exposure.  In fact, this system only requires you to set one parameter
during the picture taking experience.  You choose ahead of time that you
want a particular shutter speed or aperture to achieve your desired results.

And if you want to override the meter reading, just as in a manual camera,
you just do it with the +/- instead of either the aperture or shutter speed.
I fail to see the distinction.  Manual, Aperture priority, Shutter priority
are all the same thing most of the time.  I do switch to manual if I know I
want all exposures to be the same for changing lighting conditions, like
maybe for a panorama.  But for most people most of the time there is no
difference, since they will be just matching a needle in manual mode anyway,
just what the two priority modes do.

Now, the Auto or Programmed modes?  That's a different story all together.

So, if I am missing something, please educate me.

Aram