Subject: [Leica] IMG: Sentience
From: imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2010 13:35:42 -0500

I've already acknowledged
that I like the design and compositional elements.

"if this were a charcoal drawing"
I may (or may not) be enjoying the artistry of the drawing.

Drawings depend on the work of the hands in coordination with the eyes.
'tis that which makes them beautiful (when successful).
Which is why I asked about (and indirectly suggested) the wacom tablet.

Photoshop filters don't instantly turn digital photo files into charcoal
drawings (not even close).
(even when the filter's labeled "charcoal").
It requires knowing what a charcoal drawing actually looks like.
Then working the photograph far enough to move away from the aesthetics of a
photograph
and towards the aesthetics of a charcoal drawing.

The problem (for me) is that the filter effect has taken over the aesthetics
in your example.
The image "looks like" it's attempting to "be" something other than a
photograph;
yet does not reach that goal.
An actual charcoal drawing does not attempt to "look like" a charcoal
drawing.

This tutorial appears to achieve the goal may you may be attempting to
achieve:
<http://www.dphotojournal.com/charcoal-drawing-with-photoshop/>
Not sure it succeeds either because the images are so small.

YMMV

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george at imagist.com