Subject: [Leica] New R Solution?
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2010 03:40:17 -0400

And the M system was not expensive Frank? The entire Magnum group used them
nothing but the best photojournists out there; they could have saved money
and used Nikon F's like the main mass of photojournalists those days..
People with extra money to spend tended to be much more interested in M's
than R's. I think the sales numbers backs that up. Anyone got them?
While some of the R glass was great others of it was Minolta. Or Sigma.
So you got to spend big money for a red dot and shoot the best out of a pile
of Minolta or Sigma. That idea bummed people out.
Leica SLR's were late with TTL metering and they never recovered in the mind
of the market. People felt there was always an issue or two with them. Which
bodies do you avoid like the plague and which ones did you get? Insiders
knew. Who used Leica R's . Ernst Haas? I can't name any others.
He was out standing in the field.
Sebasti?o Salgado of course later on.

I'd think for every hundred M shooters there was an R shooter.
And the M shooters were one out of a hundred of F shooters.
So that made for not a lot of R shooters.
I'm sure Ted must have known of some.

Mark William Rabiner
Photography
mark at rabinergroup.com