Subject: [Leica] Speculation on the M8/M8.2/M9 timeline
From: vick.ko at sympatico.ca (Vick Ko)
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2009 10:24:02 -0400

So, the full frame M9 is out.  Interesting that only Tony at Popflash
has listed them.   B&H and Photovillage doesn't show the camera yet.

I was thinking, how close to reality was this:

- Leica embarks on making the digital M, and joins up with Kodak for the
sensor, a number of years ago.
- the pre-prototype works like crap.  Lens flange distance is too short,
oblique rays are causing havoc.  Not issue with making a 24x36mm sensor
size, just major issue with getting it to work
- Kodak says "We can solve the sensor problem - ETA June 2009".  In the
meantime, we can do the 2/3rd size 10 Meg sensor of the M8 for when you
want to launch the M8 (two, threee? years ago).
- what does Leica do?  Choice of hold off to now (2009) for FF, or
introduce the interim camera M8, at when they did?

History shows what happened, but I anticipate that behind the doors at
Solms, and Kodak, the FF camera was in work all the time.  And in that
time, they were applying the learnings and errors from the M8 to be
fixed in the M9.

I hope the M9 is all that is hoped for.  The price of all those Leica
lenses might rocket up again.  Glad I didn't sell any of them.  I'm much
more willing to sell bodies than lenses.

...Vick

Replies: Reply from mark at whitedogs.co.uk (Mark Pope) ([Leica] Speculation on the M8/M8.2/M9 timeline)
Reply from richard.lists at gmail.com (Richard Man) ([Leica] Speculation on the M8/M8.2/M9 timeline)
Reply from steve.barbour at gmail.com (Steve Barbour) ([Leica] Speculation on the M8/M8.2/M9 timeline)