Subject: [Leica] Arbus revisited
From: robertmeier at usjet.net (Robert Meier)
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 09:33:33 -0500 (CDT)

Elsa Dorfman (born April 26, 1937) is a portrait photographer who
works in Cambridge, Massachusetts. She is now known for her use of a
Polaroid 20 by 24 inch camera (one of only 6 in existence, according
to her web site FAQ,[1] from which she creates large prints. She has
photographed famous writers, poets, and musicians including Bob Dylan.

Her principal published work, originally published in 1974 and out of
print but now available on her web site, is Elsa's Housebook - A
Woman's Photojournal,[2] a photographic record of family and friends
who visited her at 19 Flagg Street in Cambridge when she lived there
during the late 1960s and early 1970s. Many famous people, especially
literary figures associated with the Beat generation, were in her
circle of acquaintance and as a result are prominent in the book,
including Lawrence Ferlinghetti, Allen Ginsberg and Peter Orlovsky,
Gary Snyder, Gregory Corso, and Robert Creeley, in addition to people
who would become notable in other fields, such as radical feminist
Andrea Dworkin and civil rights lawyer and Foundation for Individual
Rights in Education co-founder Harvey A. Silverglate (who would
become Dorfman's husband). She has also photographed staples of the
Boston rock scene such as Jonathan Richman frontman of The Modern
Lovers, and Stephen Tyler of Aerosmith.
Portrait of Bob Dylan and Allen Ginsberg, 1975.

As Dorfman explains in her Housebook,[3] she moved to New York City
in 1959 and found a job as a secretary to the editors at Grove Press,
a leading Beat publisher. When she later moved home to Cambridge to
pursue her master's degree, she called herself the "Paterson Society"
and began arranging readings for many Beat authors who had become
friends, maintaining an active correspondence with them as they
traveled the world. By 1962, she was teaching fifth grade; poet Paul
Blackburn visited her in school one day and read to the children "to
the shock of the very straight principal." A year later, in 1963,
Dorfman began working for the Educational Development Corporation
whose photographer, George Cope, introduced her to photography in
June 1965. She made her first sale two months later, in August 1965,
for $25 of a photograph of Charles Olson which was used on the cover
of his book The Human Universe. Due to economic limitations, she did
not buy her own camera until 1967, when she sent a check for $150 to
Philip Whalen who was then in Kyoto, Japan, and he in turn enlisted
Gary Snyder, who could speak Japanese, to purchase the camera and
mail it to her. In May 1968, she moved into the Flagg Street house
which would become the basis of her Housebook.