Subject: [Leica] 4 best and worst M lenses
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 19:57:16 -0700

Best:
75/2 Summicron
28/2 Summicron
50/1.4 ASPH
and now, 21/1.4 Summilux
I could add more.

The one lens most likely to by on my M8: 28/2

The above all have outstanding performance in every way and the only
thing that could really be improved on them is the price, weight and
in the case of the 21/1.4, size. BTW, my 50/1.4 ASPH focusses
perfectly smoothly.

Dogs: Overall, none really although certain lenses have issues that
preclude their use in certain situations. Many are unlikely to be
worth paying the money for for most people.

Uncoated lenses: obvious
Early 35 Summilux: try it wide open with lightsources away from the centre.
21 Elmarit (non-aspheric): one of the few Leica lenses that wasn't as
good as it's predecessor, but still decent compared with other
manufacturer's offerings at the time.
90 Tele-Elmarits. They don't test that well, and some have had
cementing issues and flare issues, but mine is fine and I always
enjoy the pictures I've taken with it more than those with the
Summicrons.

Early high speed lenses like the Summar, Summarit and 73 Hektor.
These all were cutting edge at the time, and for that they worked.
Now they don't look so good, unless you are after 'glow'. Mostly more
glow than I require.

For the most part, it doesn't matter that much; find a lens you like
and can afford and gives you the angle of view/speed that suits your
requirements, and that's the lens for you. I could go on a month long
vacation with just a 28/2, but with very few regrets that could be a
50/1.4 pre-asph or even the 21/2.8 that I rated poorly above. You use
the tool you have. Just don't make me go on a month long vacation to
New York with a 560/5.6 Telyt on a Visoflex.