Subject: [Leica] IMG's plus advice needed - Guy, girl, bokeh
From: kididdoc at (Steve Barbour)
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 18:07:12 -0700

On Mar 24, 2009, at 5:57 PM, Geoff Hopkinson wrote:

> Hi Bob. I just shot this for you, including some out of focus
> highlight
> areas for you too. Apologies to the Friday people for the subject
> matter.
> This is the current Summilux , close to minimum focus distance (.7m)
> and
> f/2.  Well worth getting used to the different feel of the focus
> ring, in my
> opinion. This is the best fast 50 you can buy right now regarding
> correction
> and lack of focus shift. It costs a lot. The new Nocti shares some
> of its
> design, I understand. It costs two arms and a leg.

boy, that's a smashing image  Geoff,

> Against the light on dilute XTOLed film it does this.
> 2009/3/25 bob palmieri <rpalmier at>
>> Folks -
>> After looking at George Lottermoser's wildlife shot on his blog I
>> figured
>> I'd post a couple of Humans from last week.  In contrast to the
>> birds, I
>> don't feel like color is particularly necessary for determining
>> gender:
>> Guy -
>> Girl -
>> (Feel free to deliver comments, admonishments or jocular banter as
>> needed.)
>> Both shot with my  daily M6 - 50 'Lux - Tmax 400 in Xtol rig.  Used
>> to be
>> pretty happy with this setup, but there seems to be an issue that I
>> can no
>> longer ignore.
>> I threw these up a few days ago and noticed that the "Girl" shot
>> gets twice
>> as many views as the "Guy" shot.  Must be the 50 (late spherical)
>> 'lux's
>> Lemon Bokeh, which is all over the "Guy" shot.
>> First of all, I'd like to know what causes this.  Is it a comatic
>> effect,
>> an image of the aperture off-axis or something else?  I guess it
>> doesn't
>> really matter too much, 'cuz it's clearly Here to Stay with this lens
>> design.
>> I hesitate to bring up a topic such as this, but I'm really
>> interested in
>> hearing some opinions on Fast Fiftys for M's.
>> I basically like almost everything about my late-spherical 50
>> version.
>> These aspects include close focussing to 0.7m, terrific ergonomics
>> on the
>> very-lightly-damped rings (with the fast-racking helical on the
>> focus ring I
>> can beat most autofocus setups in dim light.)  I wanna know if
>> there's a 1.4
>> (or 1.5) 50 that can keep up with most of these qualities (as well
>> as high
>> contrast and low flare wide open plus acceptable focus shift ).
>> The Nocti's are out due to weight and cost.  The versions of the
>> Leica
>> aspherical I've tried had much stiffer focussing (and I probably
>> can't
>> afford one of those either.)  So I guess it's all about Zeiss (new
>> or old),
>> Voigtlander and Canon or Nikon LTM's.
>> But if I can't find something else I may well become a member of the
>> Bokeh-After-the Fact club.
>> Bob Palmieri
>> Leica Users Group.
>> See for more information
> --
> Cheers
> Geoff
> 'Life's too short for mediocre glass'

Replies: Reply from hopsternew at (Geoff Hopkinson) ([Leica] IMG's plus advice needed - Guy, girl, bokeh)
Reply from philippe.amard at (Philippe AMARD) ([Leica] IMG's plus advice needed - Guy, girl, bokeh)
Message from hopsternew at (Geoff Hopkinson) ([Leica] IMG's plus advice needed - Guy, girl, bokeh)