Subject: [Leica] Is the DOF using a digital sensor any different than that of film?
From: philippe.amard at tele2.fr (Philippe AMARD)
Date: Thu Feb 5 22:04:21 2009

Vick Ko wrote:

> Is the DOF using a digital sensor (e.g M8, Pana G1) any different than
> that of film?
>
> In a question on Rangefinder forum, I was asking about using the Pana
> G1 as the most economical way to play "digital M", and got into a
> discussion on "loss of DOF" with digital sensors.

You don't lose DoF, you may gain some ...
You can still get thin DoF on a 4.3 as you may have experienced with
your G1; it depends on aperture and actual focal length independently of
sensor.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/d/151694-1/MTZ-Vieux+Temple-Grille-1080604.jpg
Incidently shot yesterday, f2.8 I think, at 50mm - frame looks like a
100 though.
Best form Metz
Phx