Subject: [Leica] OT nickname
From: frank.dernie at btinternet.com (FRANK DERNIE)
Date: Thu Jan 15 00:04:13 2009

when I went to work for Team Lotus the number 1 mechanic on the lead car (ie
he was working with Ayrton Senna, Nelson Piquet etc) had the nickname "Fats".
He was of quite normal build so I asked where the nickname came from.
Apparently when he was a (chubby) apprentice a mechanic called across the
car "pass me that spanner would you Fats?". He shouted back "don't call me
Fats" Pretty well nobody on the Team called him anything else after that,
and his oldest friends still do 30 years later..............