Subject: [Leica] European travel query
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Tue Jan 6 21:23:12 2009

Having visited Berlin twice in the past six months, first in August
and now between Christmas and New Year, I can only second the
recommendation. It is an absolutely stupendous city, and for a visitor
it has the added advantage of being relatively inexpensive (hotel,
food, drink, transportation) compared to other major European cities.
In my opinion, you need 3-4 days there: a couple of days to see the
major sights, and another couple of days to see some interesting
things a bit off the beated path, especially in the former East
Berlin. June should be an ideal time to visit. As Douglas says, the
weather can be a bit variable, but the school vacations have not yet
begun so the hordes are smaller than in July and August, and in late
June you have the longest days of the year--good light until 9 pm at
least.

Dresden is not far away by train and seems very worthwhile, based on
my evening spent there earlier this week. It was bitterly cold and I
was tired, so I just took a walk of a couple of hours, warming up with
Gl?hwein here and there, but what I saw was very impressive. I can
imagine it must be absolutely lovely during the summer. And like much
of the former DDR, it was really cheap. My hotel was cheaper than the
same chain costs here in Alicante, and my dinner (admittedly in the
Karstadt cafeteria, but still pretty good) was 11 Euro.

If you do go, Geoff, then I can send you a one-pager on the most
interesting places in Berlin put together by my best friend in
Denmark. It is a very personal guide to the city, but it has some
interesting places in it that you will not find in standard guides.

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman
Alicante, Spain