Subject: [Leica] Bad news at Leica
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Sat Dec 6 20:51:30 2008

Mark,

If by "serious work" you mean paid photography in areas such as
advertising, sport, celebrity photos etc., then the M cameras have
long been out of that game, whether you are talking film or digital.
That world was dominated by Canon and Nikon long before the digital
revolution hit. So from that point of view the size of the sensor of
the M8/9 has no commercial significance. Even in photojournalism, the
rangefinder camera was replaced by the SLR as the preferred photo
device some time in the 60s. Ever since, the M line has been for
enthusiasts, artists, professional photographers "doing their own
thing". I know that there are a few people like Tina who actually make
a living with their M cameras, but such people are (by far) the
exception rather than the rule, and will remain so.

So on the M line, FF or AF are irrelevant.

On the R side it is a different story and Leica is obviously putting
some resources into the R10, which will have both AF and FF and will
undoubtedly take superb pictures.

Nathan

Nathan Wajsman
Alicante, Spain