Subject: Re: [Leica] PAW -- Criticism or Stroking?
From: Per Claesson <per@visimedia.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 12:57:45 +0100

It is an interesting and appropriate point that you make. I must
confess I agree with much of what you say.

I have an artistic background and now mainly use photography in my job
as a graphics designer. Apart from the commercial/illustrative value, I
am using the camera to explore ways of seeing things, to deepen my
realizations of people, nature and reality as such.

I certainly get bored by pictures that just feel like by-products of
someones technical obsession, or typical "photo club" images, where
people just analyze composition, sharpness, contrast and such. Shapes,
colors, light have power, energy to touch and transform our minds and
souls, and it is extremely rewarding for a photographer to set out on a
journey into such visual discovery with his camera as a tool.

My feedback to many PAW images here (I say it once so I don't have to
write it each time) is: When you press that shutter, think about what
you want to say, and "feel in" the image. Does it have any power in it,
something to convey, or will it, in spite of being pretty, visually
smart or whatever, feel empty, "flat", speechless if you will.

We are all differently developed when it comes to "inner seeing", and
any criticism on that level has to be of a very encouraging nature,
since we are in a way dealing with individual growth here, not just
technical or artistic ability. To say to a person, "Your picture is
shallow and empty, just as you probably are yourself", won't do it, of
course, but unfortunately it is often true among us modern people who
rarely give ourselves time to develop any vivid inner life. Here are
possibilities for us to develop and make photography into a real-life
adventure.

In case anyone is still reading this and has any idea of what I am
talking about, thanks for the word.

Per