Subject: [Leica] Color vs B/W and Digital
From: David Rodgers <drodgers@swiftnet.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2001 09:07:29 -0800

Austin,

Interesting. Are you referring to the Leafscan 35?

Seems to me color gets all the attention in digital. But what about b/w?

This may be faulty logic on my part, but I'll throw it out. The current
commerically viable  pirosumer CCDs are capable of scanning 4000 dpi color.
I assume this requires 4 sensors in a quad and not linear configuration
(could be wrong but it seems that's the case when I looked at some CCD
schematics a while back)

Does that mean someone could manufacture a greyscale scanner that scans at
twice the resolution, or 8000 dpi? Or better yet, might someone write some
different firmware or software that would allow current scanners to do
that. Look what Jon Cone did for inkjet printing of greyscale images with
Piezography with a custom driver.

Maybe the market for b/w just isn't that big. Further, I may be way off
base with wishful thinking. But hey, the higher the resolution the scanner,
the more shooting Leica matters.

Color and b/w photography are very different mediums IMHO. Yet color is
getting all the attention!

Dave

Replies: Reply from David Rodgers <drodgers@swiftnet.com> (RE: [Leica] Color vs B/W and Digital)