Subject: Re: [Leica] digit stuff
From: David Rodgers <drodgers@swiftnet.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2001 07:43:35 -0800

Greg,

Speaking from personal experience, even seeing something roll out of an
inkjet printer is a far cry from the magic of an image appearing in
developer.

OTOH, here's why I'm getting into inkjet printing. Even though I've always
enjoyed darkroom printing it's a whole lot easier to make an inkjet.
Especially a large print, like a 16x20.  I can generate an inkjet faster
than I can mix chemical in the trays. If I have everything (i.e. profiles)
down (which I don't yet) I shouldn't even need to waste paper on test
prints. Plus, there's no cleanup. I can make one print if I feel like it.

Also, there are some wonderful papers available for archival ink jet
printing. Many textures, surfaces, weights, etc., and more coming all the
time. Good inkjet paper is more expensive than silver paper, but I need
fewer test prints (again, assuming I get the digital system down). So for a
single print it's more economical.

The way I look at it I get the feel of a fine fiber based paper yet it's
more convenient than printing on RC paper.  The images are still Leica
images. I can shoot something in the morning, develop film in the
afternoon, and scan and print by evening.  Because of the time involved in
darkroom printing I always have a backlog.

I've been a lurker on 3 digital inkjet user groups for over 2 years. But
I'm just now getting into b/w inkjet printing. I think buying the right
equipment is key. With the wrong equipment inkjet printing can be very
frustrating. Seems equipment is the key to most things. Isn't that why we
use Leica?

Dave

Message from Guy Bennett <gbennett@lainet.com> (Re: [Leica] digit stuff)