Subject: Re: [Leica] Darkroom exposure (was digit stuff)
From: David Rodgers <drodgers@swiftnet.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2001 09:09:58 -0800

Walt,

At 09:58 AM 11/9/2001 -0600, you wrote:
>Most of the chemicals we use are "irritants" or hazardous in SOME
>concentration...
>the "real" hazards are probably insignificant, at the dilutions and times
>of exposure we generally experience...you're probably in more danger going to
>the mall.........

I think you hit on the key word, "irritant". You know how some things can
become more irritating over time!

I've never really been allergic to anything that I know. Lotions,
chapstick, etc. can help with the dry skin and itch. I'm not one to say
never use a darkroom because it's dangerous. Malls on the other hand.....

>Good luck, we'd hate to "lose" another darkroom worker to digital!!!

I'm afraid it may be too late. And because of convenience and quality, not
so much safety issues. Still shooting film though, so I continue to have
one foot in the door.

I still wonder a lot about environmental exposure. I have a friend who has
and ALS type condition that they feel was caused by environmental exposure
to something. They don't know what. My son went to Japan over the summer
with a traveling All-Star baseball team. He did a home stay and spent a
couple of weeks in an extremely smokey environment. He came home with a
nasty respiratory problem. Now, for the first time ever, he has exercise
induced asthma at 14. Something to think about, but as you say, the hazards
of standard darkroom chemicals are probably low.

Dave