Subject: Re: [Leica] Magnum
From: bampolsk@csc.com
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 16:32:04 -0400

Well, I've been mostly lurking around this list.  I'm not a professional
photographer or PJ.  And, I don't take that many pictures of people with my
M Leicas (or Leicaflex SL).  What I mostly use them for is my own personal
passion...  archaeology, mostly Mayan.  I do take enough pictures of people
to make the "Silence of the Ms" music of the highest order.  Besides that,
I do agree with Oddmund that photography, if not inherently political, at
least has a substantially political side.  Anyway, I find most of Oddmund's
views refreshing (i.e., in accord with many of my long-held views.  Hail to
the thief, etc.).  We could talk about abortion and religion (Mark).  Well,
imo, they are both political subjects.  The fact is, that there is not much
in the human experience which is not political in nature.  And, the great
Leica PJs of the past, if they didn't know that in a cognitive way, at
least recorded the fact for us all to look at and reflect on.  Just as when
I look at my pictures of Copan, Tikal and Uaxactun...  magnificent ruins
all, I think of the politics with a small p that created them and led to
their ultimate ruin.  Someone once commented on New York City "What a
magnificent ruin it will make".  And, that's the point of this ramble.
Politics with a small p need not be in the midst of the hurly burly of the
modern city or village.  It can also be a sad look down an empty road or
into a long abandoned city.  Why is Copan - ruined and abandoned -
politically important?  Well, for one thing its ruin in part was caused by
its own success, overpopulation and deforestation.  Empty ruins.  political
all.  And wonderful subjects for a Leica.

Brian