Subject: Re: [Leica] Magnum
From: "Alan Hull" <hull@telia.com>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 01:59:30 +0200

From: Oddmund Garvik
> It is something like that, yes. But the exercise of power is a subtle
> often invisible affair. The real power in our time is the corporate
> multinational power

No, I cannot agree with that.  The real power is still firmly in the
hands of governments.  They excercise that power with laws and taxes.
They have the power of life and death. They have power a multinational
company can only dream of.  On a mundane note, I cannot name one
multinational company that can get money out of my pocket unless I buy
their product. The government, though, has its hands in my pocket every
day whether I want their product or not.  Taxes, taxes and taxes, those
are the three main issues that should fire the imagination of the
concerned photographer.  I live in Sweden so pay attention.
Last year, to brighten up the winter, I gave myself a photo project to
document the nasty effects of a society that suffered overtaxation.
Impossible.  I didn't have the talant, or even a single idea about how
to illustrate the theme.  I mean every photo I took looked like
ordinary folk going about their business in clean swept streets and law
abiding surroundings.  It wasn't fair.  They should have looked
downtrodden and miserable and they didn't.

Two days ago I was invited to a traditional May-day bonfire.  Goody
goody I thought recalling English bonfires.  A marvelous booze and bash
up with fireworks and things.  Took an old Canon SLR in anticipation of
getting legless.  Nope.  For three hours we stood around a blazing
bonfire listening to the local church choir.  Then we trooped off to
the school hall for a cup of coffee.  So what, I hear you cry.  Well I
realised the reason why my photographs failed.  It is not possible to
indicate lack of fun.  Everything that is frivolous and fun attracts a
premium tax in Sweden so nobody can afford it.  I mean its easy to
photograph a fat slob coming out of a McDonalds cafe and blame the
giant multinational for purveying junk food.  Try photographing
something invisible like the lack of fun.

Alan