Subject: RE: [Leica] 'Russian' Leica-fit lenses
From: "Michael E. Bérubé" <MEB@goodphotos.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2001 18:17:44 -0400

At 10:37 PM 4/5/01 +0100, Steve Unsworth wrote:
>As someone who has a 90mm Elmar and has ordered a Jupiter 9 may I ask how
>the lenses compared optically? Is it just a question of a non-rotating front
>element and wider maximum aperture?

My Elmar was probably 'better' (whatever that means...ask Erwin) but not
'better' enough to make up for the annoying rotating front element and slow
speed. (Stanislaw has it now and says he likes it for its portability.) The
Elmar also looked REALLY funny on an M5. (Which I had at the time and is
now another LUGgers.)

My J9 produces nearly the same mellow OOF highlights and soft portrait like
images that I enjoyed in the old soft Elmar, is much heavier and (as
mentioned) is a full stop faster. I don't use a 90 all that often (favoring
my RFs mostly for normal to wide work) so the J9 fits my budget and normal
use. If it ever dies (I dropped it early yesterday and it no longer has the
"rattle" that it did...so I'm testing it) I'll probably get another. If it
is fine, I'll likely try the 75 Cosina just to see if I like the look of
that FL.

That help at all?
Michael