Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica 90mm Lens suggestions
From: Nathan Wajsman <belgiangator@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 07:28:53 -0800 (PST)

- --- "Dante A. Stella" <dante@umich.edu> wrote: >
> The only reason you should buy an RF 90 is for
> portraits and then it should be the
> one with the optical signature you like.  The
> god-awfulest 90mm APO ASPH blah blah
> 90/2 for an M will set you back significantly, while
> rendering human faces like a
> microscope does.  If this is what you like, then the
> 90/2 APO is better.

Dante, do you have the 90 Apo? I have found it to be
an ideal lens for portraits. Not at all unattractive
in the way you describe, and certainly much better
than old lenses unless you are an afficionado of the
soft-focus romantic look (I personally hate it). In
any event, I did not even recommend this lens to the
original poster, since he was looking for lower-cost
solutions. I stand by my recommendation to him of the
latest 90mm Elmarit.

Nathan