Subject: Re: [Leica] Slightly OT - Request Info On Flatbed Scanner
From: Nathan Wajsman <belgiangator@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 09:28:00 -0800 (PST)

Bill,

Since you mention your Epson printer, I am assuming
that you will want to make prints of your scanned
images. If that is the case, I am afraid that a
flatbed scanner with transparency adapter in the price
range you mention will not give you the quality you
need for a decent print. I use an Epson Perfection
1200 scanner to scan my medium format negatives, and
find that the quality is OK up to A4, but no more. And
we are talking about a big negative, 6x6 or 6x9 cm.
For 35mm work, forget the flatbeds.

But the news is not all gloomy. The HP Photosmart film
scanner will give you good scans, certainly of
negatives but also of slides as long as they are not
too contrasty, and should not set you back much more
than the $300 you mention. I used to have the original
version, bought in 1998, at which time it cost around
$400-500. It has been improved since then, without any
increase in price.

Nathan

- --- Bill Campbell <billc@clark.net> wrote: > Hi
Everyone,