Subject: Re: [Leica] Baby Photos
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2001 13:22:55 +0100

When my first child was born 11 years ago, I brought my entire outfit to the
delivery room (a couple of Pentax SLRs plus assorted lenses). Because my wife's
labor lasted many hours, there was plenty of time to lay it all out on a table in
a corner of the room, ensure that everything was ready etc. The obstetrician
turned out to be into photography as well, so we had a nice chat about that. But
when the labor became serious I forgot all about photography and just concentrated
on helping my wife. And when the big moment came and I saw my son for the first
time, I was so moved that I forgot all about pictures and the doctor had to remind
me to take a couple of shots!

The moral of this story is that pictures are at best secondary and that it does
not really matter what you bring. One body with a 35mm lens should do just fine. I
am not sure if I would want a stranger in the delivery room at such a private
moment, and I do not see the need for a whole bunch of pictures anyway. Ted's case
is special, he was working on a project to document the medical profession.

When my daughter was born 6 years later, I do not recall even having a camera with
me at the hospital. Things went so quickly this time that I would not have had any
time for pictures anyway.

Nathan

"B. D. Colen" wrote:

>  But...One isn't
> in the delivery room as a photographer - hopefully - one is in the
> delivery room as a support person for one's spouse. One is hopefully
> concentrating on helping her to the extent that one can't really even
> think about taking photos until the little nipper is delivered. Sure,
> you can get a few shots of the new arrival. But if you really want the
> event documented, you want someone uninvolved to do the documenting.

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Herrliberg (ZH), Switzerland

e-mail: wajsman@webshuttle.ch