Subject: [Leica] It's all about M's
From: Afterswift@aol.com
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2000 11:50:46 EDT

In a message dated 9/7/00 12:05:12 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us writes:

<< Here's my list of reasons why take the Hexar RF over the Leica M.

 1. better meter
 2. automatic mode
 3. motordrive that works
 4. 1/125 flash sync
 5. rangefinder than never flares out
 6. easier loading
 7. DX coding

 That's reason enough for me. My m4-p pines away at home. Sold my M-6.

 tom >>
- --------------------------------
Tom,

I think you miss the point about an M. I can sum it up in one word: Manual.
The M puts you in control of your photography from the ground up. With the
Hexar, whether you're aware of it or not, you've opted for a different
technique. I'm not critical of those among us who want to go the high tech
way in photography. I'll use an AF camera for certain types of work.

But when it comes to art photography, it's the M. I even use the M as a field
camera. I compensate for its manual nature by presetting everything on the
camera. It's only when I'm not thinking fulltime that my thoughts turn to
automation. But if I'm not thinking fulltime I shouldn't be doing
photography. By analogy, you don't drive when you/ve had a few drinks.

It's all about M's.

Best,
Bob

Replies: Reply from Thomas Kachadurian <tom@kachadurian.com> (Re: [Leica] It's all about M's)