Subject: Re: [Leica] Bokeh vs. Nukeh
From: apbbeijing <apbbeijing@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 08:50:45 +0800

on 26/8/00 5:28 PM, Lin, Weifu at wflin@tp.silkera.net wrote:

> I purchase Japanese Photographic magazines such as Nippon Camera, Asahi
> Camera.
> They sometimes use nukeh and bokeh to discribe the characters of an
> lens.
> This is why I would like to know what they're trying to express.

Hi Weifu - glad that little mystery was cleared up! I find these Japanese
magazines quite intriguing for the variety and intensity of the lens tests.
I note that there are lots of diagrams and charts but very few photos
usually (more than Pop Photo of course though). They do seem far more
thorough than any of the western magazines I have seen.

OTOH there are whole magazines which show a single example each from dozens
of lenses and these are sometimes interesting as far as they go: I bought
one which shows photos from just about every M and screw fit lens and it is
fun.

I am still convinced bokeh is too non-scientific to be of value: some of the
recent discussion on the LUG seems to illustrate this. For example Henri
Cartier Bresson's remarks referred to blurred backgrounds due to limited
depth of field from lenses used with wider apertures and said nothing about
the characteristics of this background beyond blurriness. Certainly nothing
comparing similar spec lenses image characteristics.

Nukeh sounds like another vague and general term which evades quantifying -
unless they have some system which seems improbable to me...

Bests

Adrian

- --
Adrian Bradshaw
Corporate and Editorial Photography
Beijing, China
tel/fax +86 10 6532 5112
mobile +86 139 108 22292
e-mail apbbeijing@yahoo.com
OR adrianpeterbradshaw@compuserve.com

website:   http://www.apbphoto.com

Please note my new mobile number (as of August 1st)