Subject: [Leica] Re: Developing Film in the Field
From: "Gary Todoroff" <datamaster@humboldt1.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2000 15:45:01 -0700

Shel - once again, I can only recommend the Cachet AB-55 B&W film developer.
Sounds like it would handle a camping trip just fine. Temperature can be
between about 65 and 80 degrees, time is "somewhere around" five minutes, so
your wristwatch is plenty accurate, even without a second hand. Heck, you
could probably count to 300 and be close enough.

I've covered this miracle developer in several old posts, but B&H carries it
and tech support from Cachet is good, too. I would get the quart size, which
is powder. You could use your water bottle (do they still call them
canteens?) with a quart measuring mark and just carry AB-55 "dehydrated'
into the field.

Be sure to get a photo of your Nikkor reels rinsing in the babbling brook -
I am undoubtedly violating someone's eco senses here, all over a few random
sulfate molecules. I am assuming that all chemicals go back into their
bottles (and AB-55 is not a one-shot - you just keep using in over and over
with minor replenishment).

So forget the thermometer, measuring beakers and timer! Bring more film
instead.

Happy trails,

Gary Todoroff
Tree LUGger