Subject: Re: [Leica] M4-P: Vivitar 283 or 285
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 15:20:18 -0700

Krechtz@aol.com wrote:

> I saw the battery holder/case and cords on closeout at a local old-line
> camera shop a few years back.  The owner told me the batteries were difficult
> to get, very heavy to lug around and potentially dangerous.  I believe they
> carried 510 volts.  The amperage was not considered high enough to be lethal
> in and of itself, but a careless user could get quite a jolt if he got his
> wires crossed, with possible injury as a result.
> He talked me out of trying the rig.

It was the 285HV that came out a little later than the plain 285  that could use
the pack I just recalled.
I've used a bunch of those 510 volt batteries and they were a standard for such
a long time.
I wonder if older timeres have stories of them exploding and or leaking like in Alien.
The don't say high voltage for nothin!
Once one of those batteries leaked a little you needed to replace the unit which
I did once and I have two left over.
but they were inexpensive
Mark Rabiner