Subject: Re: [Leica] M4-P: Vivitar 283 or 285
From: apbbeijing <apbbeijing@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 16:55:28 +0800

My recommendation is a 283 (or 285) with a Quantum Turbo or better the new
smaller one the Turbo Z. Actually, what I use now are Dynalite Jackrabbits
because they are smaller than the regular Q Turbo with similar capacity and
have two outlets. I am stuck with Dynalite since I have a bunch of custom
cables for my Armatar strobes (300w/s 283/Lumedyne combos). OTOH Dynalite
chargers are terrible: I have got through four, including the $150+ 'super
charger' which was dud out of the box and Dynalite have not deigned to
answer my half dozen emails asking for help. Perhaps this is because I am
not in USA and therefore do not exist...

Quantum Turbo batteries are excellent though the cables are pricey and not
all of high quality. The regular Quantum batteries (such as the Battery 1)
are not very interesting IMHO since they are heavy and bulky and do not
significantly reduce recycle time (the turbo/Jackrabbit will recycle a 283
or a similar powered Canon/Nikon flash in just over 1 second on full power,
whilst the 6v Battery 1 is about 6 seconds). A neat alternative with perhaps
10 rolls or so capacity per charge is the Underdog battery which screws on
to the baseplate of the camera and comes in pairs so you can reduce the
cable tangle considerably. There is now a similar Quantum battery too.

Unfortunately there is to my knowledge no way to get a fast recycling TTL
flash for Leica without getting a huge thing like a Metz 45. The Metz 40
does not accept high voltage power supplies. Let's see what Photokina has to
offer...

Bests

Adrian

- --