Subject: RE: [Leica] Horology
From: Austin Franklin <austin@darkroom.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 10:32:21 -0400

> If I take a picture of a car with small
> reflections in the headlamp, I know there are details within the
> reflections, that good silver images can extract (and digital prints
> cannot).

I am curious if you have actually done this?  If you have a particular
negative that you believe shows 'this', and you believe it can not be shown
with current digital prints, I would ask you to send me the negative (and a
print) so I may scan and print it and send the digital print back to you
for evaluation.

> But the purpose of the
> swiss watch is not the mere indication of time, it is the embodiment of a
> century long drive to measure time to the smallest fraction.

Far more than a century!  ...but actually, precision was born out of
necessity.  Watches prior to the late 1800s were not very accurate, since
there was no need for higher accuracy at the time (so they thought!).  And
as such, trains were crashing into each other!  Then standards were
established for a 'railroad' watch in order to avoid train crashes.  Also,
railroad watches had to have two mechanisms for changing the time on the
watch, so the time could not be inadvertently changed...