Subject: RE: [Leica] RE: Horology
From: Austin Franklin <austin@darkroom.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 14:54:43 -0400

> Digital sensors cannot compete with film.

Film is limited in its ability to capture a large dynamic range - this is
self-evident in its limitation to render detail in both bright highlights
and dark shadows. Film must bias towards one or the other - and this bias
increases as the contrast of the light increases. In this regard, film is
limited to a finite range of stops between what differences it can discern
between dark and light. 1) This difference is about 6-8 f/stops with
careful
attention to exposure and chemistry.

A digital camera can capture a greater dynamic range - this is self-evident
in its ability to capture detail in both bright highlights and dark shadows
simultaneously.  3) Digital cameras differentiate between 8 - 11 f/stops of
exposure latitude. CCD has been gaining sensitivity in this specification
by
about 1 full stop a year. Additionally, CCD has been gaining in noise
suppression with high end devices exhibiting very little distortion if any
in the darkest regions.

Dynamic range and printing:
Variable contrast photographic paper has the ability to render up to 12
contrast stops, but not simultaneously. Again its dynamic range is
dependent
upon filtration during exposure and is designed to match the capabilities
of
film.

(note: the above text was taken from an email I received.  It puts it in
better words than I would have done if I wrote it from scratch)

> The net result is that you cannot record fine detail using a digital
sensor
> unless you are willing to make multiple scanning passes,

For now, a purely digital image input device does not compete with film, I
agree.  But to overcome that limitation, I take the picture on film (which
is what I bought my Leica for ;-), and then scan the film, and print using
Jon Cone's B&W Piezography inks/software.  The results are simply amazing,
if you haven't seen one, you owe it to your self to.