Subject: RE: [Leica] Leica initial quality story
From: Paul Chefurka <Paul_Chefurka@pmc-sierra.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 10:43:38 -0700

Over the years I've owned two M4's, an M3, two M6's, and 11 lenses.  Of
these, the M6's and five of the lenses were new (or essentially new).  I've
had no problems with any of it.  Nada, zippo, zilch.  Now, if I were to
judge Leica's corporate level of QC based on my personal experience (like
the detractors are doing), I'd say they're perfect.

This is not to say that the people with problems are wrong.  Obviously Leica
has had difficulties, especially during the early introduction of complex
new items like bodies.  But to get worried that a few stories about R8's and
R4's somehow translates to a company that puts it products together with its
eyes closed using Vice-Grips, is to be excessively paranoid IMNSHO.

Customer service may be another story, but then based on my dealings with
Kindermann, I'd say they're perfect on that score too.

If you ever see two extremes, you can be pretty sure the truth is somewhere
between them.

Paul

Replies: Reply from chucko@siteconnect.com (Chuck Albertson) (Re: [Leica] Leica initial quality story)