Subject: [Leica] the fat leica shoots the slowest....
From: Kyle Cassidy <cassidy@netaxs.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 19:32:04 -0400 (EDT)

 someone suggested the extra weight of the noctilux allows you to shoot an
 extra stop slower, jim laurel agreed:

 >I can vouch for this, John.  The extra weight of the Noctilux allows me
 >to handhold much slower shutter speeds than, say the Summicron 50.  I am
 >comfortable using the Noct at speeds as low as 1/15th without
 >supplemental support.  I guess you could make the case that this raises
 >its effective abilities in low light.

 i, myself have done this by screwing a 3 lb. quantum battery to the
 baseplate of my m6. since the tripod screw is way off to one side it
 annoys the balance, but it makes the camera as heavy as an f3 + motor
 drive. and since the camera already weighed so damn much, i just put the
 sb28 on top of it and i found i can shoot in ZERO light with an f 3.5 lens
 stopped down to f11.

 proof is in the pudding:

 http://www.asc.upenn.edu/usr/cassidy/m6-quantum.jpg

 i've also had good luck taping a brick to the baseplate. for ultra low
 light shots.

 (jim's photos are pretty spectacular though, all kidding aside, everybody
 ought to check them out)

 http://www.spectare.com/gallery/burma/gallery1.html

 kc