Subject: RE: [Leica] R zoom recommendation 3.5/35-70 (E60)
From: Peterson Arthur G NSSC <PetersonAG@NAVSEA.NAVY.MIL>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 14:11:05 -0400

Cameras and lenses made to Leica specifications---whether made in Germany,
in Canada, in Portugal, or in Japan by Minolta or Kyocera---are cameras and
lenses made to Leica specifications.  It's inconceivable that Leica would
tolerate inferior products simply because they did not originate in Wetzlar
(or now in Solms).  Hans-Peter reports that slides by his Japanese-made
"3.5/35-70 [lens]...don't stick out, if mixed with [slides made by]
'genuine' Leica prime lenses," and Ted reports that "when slides from [his
German-made 3.5/35-70] lens come on the screen mixed with those from prime
Leica lenses there doesn't appear to be any difference."  What's more, the
optical formula is identical for these lenses.  I think it's safe to assume
they produce essentially equivalent results.   :-)

Art Peterson