Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: LET'S SEE NOW...WHICH M-TELEPHOTO TO CHOOSE?
From: Henry Ambrose <digphoto@nashville.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 08:44:07 +0100

>I can tell you from personal experience that the 75/1.4 and the 50/1.4,
>produce a smoothness and glow that is lost with the ASPH CAD assisted
>lenses. This is not bad. Everyone now has a choice of Computer Aided
>Design, or Human Design as Leica lenses live forever. I would not give up
>my 35/1.4 ASPH for any other 35mm lens. Likewise on the 24 ASPH. But I'm
>not sure if I would ever want a 50/1.4 ASPH as no matter what folks say,
>the current 50/1.4 lens is the epitome of "Leica Character." Or Leica Glow
>if you wish. I know for sure that I would not want a 75 ASPH. This lens at
>f/1.4 and f/2 speaks volumes of magic quality, unobtainable, in my
>estimation, anywhere else.
>
>IMHO,
>
>Jim
I have the 75 and the 90 Elmarit M I think much the same as Jim on
character of the lenses. I also really like my 35 and 24 ASPH lenses -
best I have ever seen by far. The 75 is different, sharp and soft all at
once. I do wonder though if the 90APO could not be tamed a bit by
choosing a softer film.

I think I should sell my 90 Elmarit and get the 90APO, then the next day
I should sell it and have only the 75. I know I prefer the 75 length for
the "super 50" effect that Jim mentions.

I have not used the 90 since I got the 75! so maybe I don't need it! In
choosing one or the other focal length I think the choice is more one of
"how much reach/speed do I need?" rather than which is sharpest.

Only my opinion.

Henry Ambrose